NOTE: Some Windows 10 users may encounter a hang on load if their Graphics Quality setting is on “Beautiful” or “Fantastic”. Set it to “Good” as a workaround.
Graffiti 3D is a straightforward application with one purpose: enable you to doodle in 3d space with 3d meshes in colors/materials of your choice. An Oculus Rift DK2 and Leap Motion are recommended for the best experience.
A Hovercast menu on your off hand allows you to control brush color, size, material (cartoon, metal, porcelain, clay, neon, wireframe), and perform a variety of utility functions (such as export/import meshes, turn on augmented reality mode, undo strokes, and clear the canvas).
For users who interested in other input options, mouse input and the Xbox 360 controller work as well (see readme.txt).
Street artists and the techniques they use to make their pieces jump off their canvases have inspired me for a long time. After following the Oculus Rift kickstarter and developing an interest in stereoscopic media, I realized an opportunity existed to enable the creation of free-hand art that literally has depth to it. To my surprise, I couldn’t find quite what I was looking for, so I went on a search for the best suitable 6dof input device and built it.
Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any suggestions.
- Press `R`, or `F12` to recenter the camera
- Press `E` to export meshes
- Press `M` to bring up the menu
- Press `Spacebar` to clear the canvas
- Press `S` to toggle the photoshpere
- Press `Left CTRL + z` to undo
- Press `L` to toggle the lights
- Press `ESC` to exit the app
Drawing, modifying line size/color/shape
- Depositing 3d material: position your pointer finger on your right hand where you would like to draw, and then close your right thumb in toward the side of your right hand.
- Changing the color: open the left hand menu (by looking at your left palm or “m” on the keyboard), select the Color button by hovering your right finger over it, and select a color with the color picker.
- Changing the size: open the left hand menu (by looking at your left palm), select the Size button by hovering your right finger over it, and select a size with the size picker.
- Change the material: open the left hand menu (by looking at your left palm), select the Material button by hovering your right finger over it, and select a material.
Setting “handedness” and turning on/off bounding box
Left handed folks can enable left-handed mode by editing config.txt and changing the “right-handed” value to “left-handed”. If you don’t ever want to see the interaction volume bounding box (and turning it off every time is annoying), delete or alter the value “InteractionBox” in config.txt
Read the included README.txt for further information.